This recipe is gluten-free, lactose-free and nut-free.
2 Cups Gluten-Free Self Raising Flour
1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
2/3 cup Caster Sugar
1/2 cup chopped *70% cocoa chocolate
1 cup Lactose-Free Milk
1 tbsp Olive or Vegetable Oil
1 cup mashed Banana
1 cup *Icing Sugar
1tsp Vanilla Essence
1 tsp Water
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon together
- Stir in sugar and chocolate
- In a different bowl, whisk milk, eggs and oil together
- Stir banana into the milk mixture
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients well.
- Spoon into lined muffin trays (Makes approx 12-16)
- Bake for around 25minutes, until a skewer inserted into the cakes comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for about 5 minutes, and then turn out onto a rack to cool.
- Beat all ingredients together until well combined, adding extra sugar as necessary.
- This should form a stiff mixture, which can be spread over muffins once cool.
* Things to note when choosing your ingredients. Things you don’t think would have gluten, lactose or nuts in them often do. Be sure to check the ingredients on the packet, and check with the person you are baking for the extent of the intolerance – for a lot of people ‘May contain traces of’ is fine, but not for everyone.
Chocolate – The more cocoa in a chocolate, the less likely it is to have gluten or lactose in it, however you need to check on the back of the packet to make sure. I find that Lindt 70% Cocoa chocolate has neither of these in my shops.
Margarine – Not all margarine is lactose free. Make sure to check if it contains milk or milk products in the ingredients.
Icing Sugar – Cheaper brands of icing sugar often contain gluten/wheat products as part of the mixture. Check what is in it!